Thursday, September 22, 2005

First Day of Autumn

Well, summer has officially ended! The title link on my post is to a band called Screeching Weasel, for those of you that don't know, the band has written a song for the first day of Summer, Autumn and Winter. They broke up a long time ago, but have been rumored to reunite for a tour, and most of their old albums have been re released recently. The have been a very influential band for many local and national punk rock bands. I like them, although they are very rough, so they definitely aren't for everyone. Their release on Fat Wreck Chords, "Bark Like a Dog" would have to be their most "Pop-Punk" release, which incidentally was their most popular cd. I would recommend that one for the non-punk people out there. First Day of Summer is on that release and probably my favorite. Set Phasers on Kill is a funny one, with references to Star Trek and Capt Kirk. I just checked Fat Wreck Chords website and they are releasing all 3 Weasel records on one disc in October, called Weasel Mania. Sweet.

Anyway, I had the 3rd round of scratch testing this week. And as forecasted, Ragweed is definitely not my friend. Today, 3 days after testing, my arm is almost looking normal. The swelling and redness that usually goes away the night of testing, was actually worse Tuesday and even bothered me yesterday. Its pretty amazing that a little drop of the allergen can cause that much of a reaction on my arm. Sure does explain where all that mucus came from, and the itchyness of the eyes. I usually do a pretty good job of not "itching" my itches, but I would wake up in the night and start "massaging" my arm (not ITCHING OR SCRATCHING IT, PROMISE!) because of the tremendous joy that scratching that itch would bring. I'm not sure how that works, but that relief you get from scratching an itch is mind boggling. Although with my arm, it would only last 2 seconds before the stinging itch feeling would come back, only with 5 times the feeling to urge to scratch again. Doh!

A lot of season/series premieres of show have taken place the past few weeks. I've stopped recording shows that end up taking too much space on my DVR (daily show, Simpsons and family guy daily reruns) to make room. Already though I think I have watched more TV the last 2 nights that I have in the past month (besides sporting events). Prison Break is a pretty good show, but I'm not sure how they can make the show more than 1 season. Although they did a good job with 24 (from what I hear - never watched the show), so I'm sure they'll find a way, if its popular enough. Head Cases wasn't too bad, kinda weird seeing Chris O'Donnell in a TV series, but Adam Goldberg fits nicely into his "weird guy" typecast role he seems to have been in. While "The War at Home" isn't as good as "Arrested Development" in the Sunday night lineup, it does have its good parts. "My Name is Earl" was a funny show, with one of my favorite comedy actors Jason Lee. Anyway, just a rundown of the new shows that will keep my DVR busy this season, along with the old favorites: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Arrested Development, Scrubs, The Office, That 70's Show, Will and Grace, Joey, Malcom in the Middle, etc. Anyway, better wrap this up. Until next time. Lunch break over!

Waj

No comments: