Monday, October 25, 2004

Google Desktop Search

I use google for nearly every web search I do for work and fun. Recently I noticed a new link: http://desktop.google.com

I decided to check it out, and I have used it a few times. It lets you search your entire hard drive for specific files: email, web sites, pictures, music, MS office files. It keeps a history of your web surfing so you can pull up the exact website you saw earlier, even if it has been updated. I actually was able to pull up my previous fantasy football post that I accidentally deleted, so if you missed it last week, its back! I just hope google keeps everything they do FREE or at least paid by TEXT advertising. Its really amazing their gmail program and now this searching application can be available without all the popup advertising you see on other search engines.

Enjoy

EDIT: I have recently read some interesting things about google desktop- it records all website views. Even Secure HTTPS pages, so if you have it installed on a work/public PC, careful what sites you visit, it could retain some things you don't want it to. Just a warning
/EDIT

No comments: